Thursday, May 28, 2009

Start Over Is No Way To Begin

My older brother gave me a call today. I had texted him earlier in the day expressing my new love for the Descendents and we just talked about punk music/what bands I should check out and all that stuff. He got on me for never getting into The Get Up Kids. Two of my biggest regrets in my near decade of listening to punk music is never heavily getting into The Get Up Kids and Hot Water Music. I've listened to plenty of songs to understand why they are as great and appreciated as they are, but I never went out and bought all of their discography. One of the songs I used to listen to was a song "Out Of Reach" off their Something To Write Home About record. Well, I was going through my ipod to see what Get Up Kids I have and it turns out I had that album. I probably grabbed his CD and put it on my ipod a few years back. Back in the good ol' days(2003), there was no such thing as ipods so I would download music off of Kazaa and make compilations. Well, I was letting the album run while doing things on the internet and Out Of Reach came up. Heart nearly skipped a beat. Nostalgia is such a powerful thing. So many different memories. It made me think of when I had my massive headphones and would walk around school with them. I was a freshman so I probably looked really goofy. It made me think about the people I was close with. The people I would run into during the passing periods. The cold, rainy days of Carroll High School. Days that can't leave my mind. I also remember being in this really terrible band with a few friends. We somehow thought my taste in punk music, the singers taste in ska music and the drummer and other guitarist taste in metal music would make an incredible sound. Obviously it didn't. But there was one practice on a rainy October day where I started the guitar and me and Andy(the singer) sang it together with such intensity. Especially at the 2:47 mark. I remember thinking I was a hard ass too because I was playing with no shirt and my cargo shorts with that infamous strap. Classic. Doesn't sound like a big deal right? But I think those are the best things to look back at. Just being young and having fun with friends. This song can nearly bring tears if I think about it hard enough. At the 1:47 mark, I got a flash back of how I used to look at someone. Isn't that ridiculous?! Nostalgia! Music! It can remind you of how you look at someone! What was it? The 3rd wing of Carroll? Upstairs. I can remember exactly how and where I would stand. The exact position my head was cocked. The exact $11 blue Wal-Mart hoodie with the self made thumb holes that I would wear. The exact position the trees were around me. You gotta love it man.

I love how a majority of the videos I post on this are of soft songs. I don't care though. It's great music. Please excuse some of the images on the video. It was the only one I could find of the song that wasn't live and with bad sound quality. So here it is.



The Get Up Kids - Out Of Reach - MyVideo

There's room to believe
out of sight
out of mind
out of reach
start over is no way to begin

No comments:

Post a Comment