Tuesday, June 2, 2009

We Are But Wayfarers With A Wish To Stay Alive For A Cause And For A Dream


I've known this way cool girl named Kara for a really long time now that I think about it. She texted me the other day asking me to essentially introduce her to punk music. I'm always stoked to do this for people. I've been doing it since the summer before 8th grade where I made a compilation for my future girlfriend/best friend. Had some legit stuff, but also had a bunch of Rufio and Matchbook Romance(West For Wishing EP). The funny thing about when people ask me to do this is that while they see this as just a tiny favor, I see this as a huge deal. I'm having to introduce someone into the music that has ran my entire life. Introduce the music that describes who I am. Introduce someone punk rock music. Such a huge thing to ask of someone. Initially I thought: OK! Here comes 28 or 29 songs of my all time favorite punk songs! Go! But then with help, I realized that it would be clearly just overloading. Too much for someone to handle. Sure, I would expose her to tons of bands, but she wouldn't be able to grasp all the sounds of punk music. So it was decided that I will put 3 songs each by 4 bands. Selecting these bands was really difficult. I debated with my brother which ones they should be. We came up with Hot Water Music, The Descendents, The Get Up Kids, and Audio Karate. Why? Well you get the "orgcore" beard punk. The geeky fun punk from The Descendents. Essentially true, legit emo from The Get Up Kids. And easily one of the most underrated pop punk bands ever, Audio Karate. So the track listing goes as this:

1. The Descendents-Sick-O-Me
2. The Descendents-When I Get Old
3. The Descendents-She Loves Me
4. The Get Up Kids-Holiday
5. The Get Up Kids-Action and Action
6. The Get Up Kids-My Apology
7. Hot Water Music-Wayfarer
8. Hot Water Music-Trusty Chords
9. Hot Water Music-The End Of The Line
10. Audio Karate-Get What You Deserve Inc.
11. Audio Karate-A Whole Lotta Weight
12. Audio Karate-Gypsyqueen

Happy June everybody. Seriously, these summer days are great. I'm really enjoying these last few months living in Corpus. Nights are fun. Days are good. The grass is good. The heat is good. The Descendents are good. The friends and parties are good. It's just been very good. Except for the fact I haven't touched my guitar too much lately. But I told myself I would change that starting this month and I plan on living up to it. I learned the Barrios prelude, I have gotten the first page to Generalife by Turina and I plan on finishing and perfecting the 996 Bach suite. It's that time of the year to where I start playing electric guitar again. Yep. You guessed it! The annual Thrice cover show has come and I couldn't be more stoked for it. Thrice is my 2nd favorite band of all time. I can't begin to tell you how much their music has done for me. I think we're taking it down a notch this year though. Supposed to play slower material but still doing some old ones. Sell outs, huh? Here is a video of one of my top 5 favorite songs by them.


Thrice-Cold Cash and Colder Hearts


We've learned money matters most
So we keep our cards held close
Here at the top of the world

We hold our own by keeping our hearts cold
And we've learned what matters most
So we keep our hearts cold

No comments:

Post a Comment