Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I'm Thinking Bout A Brand New Hope. The One I've Never Known

Green Day has caused quite a bit of buzz lately. They have a new record coming out on the 15th. You can listen to a stream of the new album here. Green Day is Green Day. Billie Joe's voice will always be undeniably catchy. I don't even know where to begin when it comes to talking about them. I've never been a die hard fan, but I've always been a fan. I wrote a paper on their song Macy's Day Parade in 8th grade which was pretty awesome. Green Day is what got me and millions of other kids into punk rock music. I remember hearing Hitchin' A Ride in what was it? 4th grade? I instantly fell in love with it. Especially the last part. Even with their success, I would still always defend them because really, in my eyes, they have never made a bad album. A lot of people talked shit about Warning but I personally liked it. While I did enjoy American Idiot, I didn't like how they were presenting themselves. Out of no where, Armstrong and Tre began wearing thick eye liner and the all black suit with the red or white tie and Mike looks like satan apparently. Anyway, songs have been leaking and I've been very un-impressed. That "Know Your Enemy" song that is being played left and right is really repetitive and kind of gets on my nerves. I only enjoyed 2 maybe 3 of the songs on the stream posted above. Could it be that Green Day will finally make a record that I'm just not too into? Maybe, but I can't hate them. They look like morons and could potentially be done with making great music, but I can't hate them. They have done too much for me and punk music.

Apparently pieces that are straight 16th notes are my forte. I've played Bach BWV 1001-Presto, Fuge, Bach BWV 996-Gigue, Presto, Villa Lobos Etude #2 and now I can add Barrios Prelude op. 5 no. 1. Which brings me to why I'm kind of sad with how easy it was to learn this piece. Why was it so easy? Sure, it was in G minor, a simple key signature, but really, this was surprisingly easy for me. I know I've gotten better since the last time I learned a piece, but still, it shouldn't have been this much of a breeze. But I've concluded that it's just the fact that I'm so used to these straight 16th notes songs. I thought it would take me the whole month to learn it well but it took me 5 days. Josh brought up a great point and said that I hardly have any "pretty" pieces which is very true. Gerald Garcia has a piece called Spring Breeze which I will always consider to be the most beautiful song ever written. Xuefei Yang is a world class guitarist who is known for playing this piece. We exchanged myspace messages and then I asked her where I could get a copy of the piece and I haven't received a response in weeks. That's the classical guitar world for you. To separate yourself from everyone else, you need to play pieces no one else plays. You need to play a piece that will define you. At first I was like really? I'm just a 19 year old headed to a conservatory. In a way I almost take it as a compliment. Not that I think she's actually threatened by me, but you know. I guess I would do the same. I'm considering a Chopin waltz among others. But I do know I need to get on top of that kind of piece. All my songs are so aggressive.


This one is for all the ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment