Thursday, April 16, 2009

This Is Me Moving On Without You. This Is The Last Time I'll Be There.


Tonight will make the second night in a row that I sit down in my room on this lap top with a full suit on being super hot (in both ways) because I'm too lazy to take it off. Why you ask? No big reason really. Last night was the annual Del Mar Guitar Ensemble concert. The guitar ensemble plays x amount of pieces and then we are joined by high school within the city then the ensemble plays another x amount of pieces. I've been doing this concert since I was in high school and never has there been so many high school kids. Atleast 50 kids from all the high schools made it out this year which isn't really a good thing. The whole concert went like this: forte forte forte forte forte forte forte. No musicality whatsoever. You would never guess we're music majors. But that isn't our fault. Our instructor just said to hell with dynamics and it resulted in a very boring concert. Playing the high school songs was fun because I just never looked at them until a couple days ago so it was pretty much sight reading. But the part I enjoyed the most was when Mr. Justus took over to conduct the Del Mar and high school ensemble. It feels so right. I'm so used to it. It feels so natural and I guess at home. But that was the last time that sort of thing will happen which is pretty depressing.

In the middle of the concert, my guitar instructor recognized me for getting into San Francisco Conservatory as the top selection. There was a nice applause and when he mentioned the top selection thing I heard a few "aw!" and more applause. That applause of approval is pretty sweet. But what wasn't sweet was the fact that he recognized me when he's given me so much crap about going to that school. Hypocrite? I wish he would have recognized me and then told the entire audience what he thought. Because last I remember, he "tells it like it is, no matter who it affects." After the concert I checked my schedule at HEB. It needs to be said on this blog how much I hate my job. But i'm stoked that I got the weekend off for an Austin visit. I stood in the parking lot for nearly an hour after having a fantastic conversation with a lady.

Why am I in a suit tonight? Well yesterday I was standing outside with friends like I usually do and Dr. Flory called me inside and asked if I could play at the reception for tonights concert so I said sure. It was an interesting concert. It featured the composition teacher from UT Austin and a former student of his, Ryan Gee. I really enjoyed Gee's "Tiger." Very junglish. Then Dr. Flory has a performer play a suite for unaccompanied tuba and yes it was as non-climatic as it sounds. But overall, it was an interesting concert. Me and Shawn played for the reception afterwards. Good food, good people, good time. Shawn brought a couple easy duets which are always fun to sight read. Sight reading is a musicians way of living on edge. This was nice though. It's nice to get asked for things like this. This is the second time I've been asked by a faculty member(other than my guitar teacher) to play for some sort of event.

Me and Josh continued our preparation for our concert by performing at Carroll High School the other day. I love the school to death, but the sound quality for guitar is just terrible. We also played at Kaffie Middle School early this morning which was fun.We Are The Union-We Are The Union - I'm Like John Cusack In The Way That I'm Holding A Boom Box Outside Your Window, Telling You To Fuck Off

I was putting what I thought was my compilation of great songs into my car but it turns out it was We Are The Union's "Who We Are." I usually don't like to listen to this album for certain reasons. It goes along with about 4 or 5 other albums that I'm just not really down to listen to and wont be for a while. I heard the first song and immediatley jerked to press the eject button but then just decided to let it happen. It belongs to the summer of 2008 era. I remember I heard about this band literally 2 days after they had played in Corpus which sucked because I instantly fell in love with them. The reviewer on punknews said it best, "Set Your Goals with horns." Couldn't be further from the truth. High energy. Feel good lyrics. Young. But they don't have 2 munchkins singing and running around on stage like SYG.

I'm so happy I listen to punk music. What would the word "linoleum" mean to me if I didn't? Would I just live May 16th as if it were some other day? Would I find a girl in a green jacket as hott as I do now? Would I still want to say "music" any time someone mentions hot water? Would I drive as fast? Would all my high school memories mean nearly as much with out them being tied to the what seems to be endless amount of great songs? Where else am I going to get that feeling when I hear "And everytime I think about you! I think about how I have nothing!" being yelled?? Like really. There are times to where I feel sorry for the rest of the world that doesn't listen to punk music. That they are all being deprived of the most passionate/real music there is. When I die, along with some of my favorite songs to be played at my funeral(I will sing the requiem?), I would like just a drummer to do a punk beat for about 2 minutes straight because that's basically whats going through my head a majority of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment