Thursday, April 23, 2009

So Many Nights, So Many Nights I Wish To Live Like Them

There is so much great punk music out there that I haven't listened to. Like the Descendents for example. One of those legendary punk bands that I just never took the time to thoroughly listen to. I had heard a couple songs and enjoyed them but never took it past that point. My older brother Roy got me "Everything Sucks" by the Descendents back last winter which was pretty much the perfect definition of my life at the time. I really really enjoyed it. So much so that I've recently picked up "I Don't Want To Grow Up" and "Milo Goes To College." I asked which was their best and a bunch of kids on punknews argued between mainly those two. I'm also going to give Alkaline Trio a try. There are some absolute die hard fans of this band out there and I'm interested to see what they are all about. I got "From Here To The Infirmary" by them. I'm also getting lots of Dillinger Four and Dead To Me. ALSO the latest Bomb The Music Industry. I will only listen to 2 of these albums at a time though. I hate overloading yourself with music then eventually picking favorites and neglecting an album when you shouldn't. So two albums every two months? Sounds good. Hit The Switch finally comes out with a new full length in late May. Stoked. I'm set till the move to San Francisco!

Guess what? I'm teaching guitar again. Getting paid $240 a month for doing it! It's pretty sweet. If I get another student it will be $400 a month. One six year old girl and one five year old girl. I feel like little girls are more likely to listen and focus rather than young boys. You have no idea how creepy I feel saying "little girls and young boys." But anyway, I'm stoked to be teaching and stoked to finally get back on my feet financially. Maybe I can start making it rain like I did back in my junior/senior year of high school where I threw down money for everything. Funny thing is my junior year I just never spent a dime of that money on my then girlfriend because I didn't know you were supposed to. That's youth?

That's all. Done with Del Mar performing. I had my last guitar recital on Wednesday night. A fair amount of people showed up. I'm never satisfied with my playing. Never. It's impossible. I played the 996 Gigue surprisingly well though. I play this piece by Giuliani called Grand Overture. I play the song really really well. I've been playing it for quite some time now. It was my closer because the ending cadence is super strong. Well I went back on stage to perform it and realized halfway while walking out, I forgot my grip pad for my thigh. Are you kidding me? I need that thing. My guitar was slipping and sliding all over my thigh so it was super hard to focus on what I was playing. Thus, I screwed up big time in the middle section. But I played it off and finished the last section pretty strong so I guess it was ok. We had a reception afterward and it was fun to see some old friends. Random people were asking for my autograph which I thought was hilarious and flattering at the same time.

Mr. Justus told me that I should take a picture just like jesus on a cross because that's basically what I have become to the Carroll guitar department. So someone should photoshop a picture of my face on that jesus on a cross picture and put a classical guitar on me. Apparently they have this thing in their classes to where they always ask "What would Razzy do?" It's pretty awesome.

I had my lesson with Mr. Hii this passed Tuesday. He told me Mr. Justus said to him "What did you do to Razzy? You turned him into a monster." A guitar playing monster is what he was referring to. Hii then went on to give me a speech to always be humbled and never be cocky. He told me a few months ago before I told him where I was auditioning that I wasn't cocky. Well I had my lesson with Mr. Justus later on and he brought up the story and said that Mr. Hii replied to him "Yeah, he's a bit cocky isn't he?" Such a hypocrite. Way to be a man right? He thinks that I'm cocky just because I'm leaving to a bigger and better school. For the last time, I'm not cocky. I'm confident in my abilities, but I know there are tons better than me and I want to be the worst guitar player when I get up to San Francisco. I don't believe that there is such a thing as peaking at guitar. I know each and every day I can get better and that's what I plan on doing.


Hit The Switch-Imperial Horizon

Do you want to know what summer sounds like? Take a listen to that. I listen to that and think of when times were fantastic. I had just gotten over a girlfriend. Started getting into talks with a future girlfriend. Started consistently partying with my friends. Played lots of poker. Played lots of basketball. 2006 summer was great man. I mentioned that these guys are coming out with a new album a couple paragraphs up. Really stoked about that. It's the definition of melodic punk music. Some people have compared them to Identity Crisis Thrice which I %65 agree with. Great band and I can't wait for it to be my summer of 09 anthem.

No comments:

Post a Comment