Thursday, April 9, 2009

Lying Is Like Murder, It's Easier Each Time.

In every music department no matter what school you go to, all the orchestra kids are the same, all the band kids are the same, all the choir kids are the same, and all the guitar players are the same. Guitar players are typically very calm and easy going guys who usually don't get involved with the band/choir/orchestra crowd. And most certainly, we never have a problem with other guitar players. So there's never really any "drama." Del Mar College is the exception to the rule. Lots of things went down last week. I'm fed up with the personal attacks from my teacher just because I'm bettering my music career. I'm fed up being used to make him look good with my playing. I'm fed up with the way my teacher has handled situations with other students. I left school on Friday in pure rage after the studio lab. The arrogance. The immaturity. The hypocrisy. It's just unbearable sometimes. I told my teacher that I did not want to play the guitar concert for him, but I would for the rest of the ensemble because I'm 1st part and it's vital that I play. I told him how I felt about everything completely straight up. Something happened today in ensemble that got my heart racing. I wanted to just walk out. I'm glad me and a few people actually have the balls to stand up to him and speak our mind.

But what seems to bother me the most is that there are snitches among the guitar players. Guitar players who will do anything just so the guitar instructor will take it easy on them in ensemble, lessons, lab, juries. It's sickening. Some have snitched when asked which is bullshit because it is not their place to say anything about anyone. But there is one in particular that was actually listening in on conversations or what was said in the middle of ensemble and would report it to the teacher. Are you kidding me? Suck up all you want, your not going to get anywhere. What are you going to get? Respect? Do you think that's what your getting? No, it's not. He's using you. Stop and think about it. Think about your lesson. He goes on a rant about another student or trying to get dirt on another student right? What happened to your lesson? What happened to the money you paid so you could get teaching from this all mighty guitarist? It went out the window because he doesn't care enough about you or your playing to even consider taking you seriously. Next time he does that, try to dig real deep in your stomach for your balls and say "Hey, how bout we learn something about guitar?" Or not. You don't have to. You can keep being a doormat the rest of your life. You can stay stuck at Del Mar. You can continue you to be someones bitch. You can continue you to play ROMANCE WITH TREMELO.

3 rats running around the music building. What sucks is that 2 of them are guys I considered to be somewhat friends. It's just shitty when you think you know someone or when you think you have that guitar player bond and would never expect them to talk shit about you behind your back. They know who they are. I'm making it quite clear to them how I feel. I'd like to thank the other guitar players for this semester. There is a handful or two of them that have really made this semester entertaining and that have had my back.

What are the best songs on CD's? The best ones? Well yeah, obviously but I feel that sometimes the best songs are the ones that you weren't consistently screaming at the top of your lungs in your car/shower/room/party or whatever. The ones that you seemed to just enjoy in passing while waiting for the next song to come. Explanation.

I put in Saves The Day's "Can't Slow Down" today and "Three Miles Down" came up. What a rush that was. It made me think of my 14 year old self thinking the world was coming to an end because a relationship didn't work out. Nothing all that special about the song. Just an acoustic guitar and Chris Connelly's voice going up and down like it always does. But these types of songs always seem to have that one vocal melody or one lyric that just seem to drill in your head and you don't even realize it. Another example is of the video above. "Retiring" by A Wilhelm Scream from their first LP as A Wilhelm Scream, "Mute Print." The CD is just FILLED with legendary AWS songs. You can't take a breathe with out screaming like a girl because your favorite song (which is about 8 or 9 of the 11) is coming up. So take "Retiring" as the perfect example. Right between "The Rip" and "Stab Stab Stab." That's like standing between Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. It's obviously a very simple song. No crazy shredding guitars like the rest of the album. No epic vocal harmonies like AWS is known for. Really, just nothing all that outstanding about the song. But every time I hear it I feel that rush of nostalgia of my early 2006 relationship and it's a pretty pleasent feeling. Just a good melody. It's the songs that you don't fully appreciate that always seem to mean the most 2 or 3 years down the road. Same case can be made about albums. Smoke Or Fire's "This Sinking Ship" for example. Much The Same's "Survive." Bad Astronaut's "Houston: We Have A Drinking Problem."


Have I mentioned how much I love Joey Cape on this? It's like my love for his music keeps growing and growing and growing even though I haven't heard anything new for a few months now. I heard a clip of this from an article on the org the other day and couldn't stop singing it. You should always watch these videos. They are fantastic and educational. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment