Friday, August 28, 2009

The Constants Aren't So Constant Anymore


Today was the day it finally hit me. It finally hit me at where I'm at. I'm at a music conservatory. I'll get to why in a little bit. I went to register the other day. David fucking Tannenbaum is my advisor. How sick is that? I'm taking 18 1/2 credits of straight up MUSIC. I love it. I've got Introduction to the History of Western Civilization, Sight Singing, Music Theory, The Alexander Technique (The Alexander technique is an alternative medicine educational discipline with therapeutic effects that studies bodily coordination, including psychological principles of awareness. It is applied for purposes of recovering freedom of movement, in the mastery of performing arts, and for general self-improvement affecting poise, impulse control and attention.-Wiki), Guitar Ensemble, Guitar Literature(classical and romantic), guitar lessons with Lawrence Ferrara and Guitar Performance which is essentially guitar lab. I'm going to be at school from 8-3:30 on Mondays, 8-9am on Tuesdays, 8-12pm and 3-630 on Wednesdays, 8-9 and 12-1 on Thursdays, and 10-11 on Fridays. So many classes! But I'm so excited for it. I just don't know how I'm going to manage my classes, practicing 5 hours a day, hopefully a job and the relationship I will unfortunately end up in. BRING IT.

While getting registered, David told me to go by his office and check out guitars for rent on Friday which is today. So I figured, well, I don't have the money, but playing some sweet guitars would be awesome. So I forced myself to get up early and headed over there. No words can describe. I played on at least 5 or 6 guitars that blow mine out of the water. Playing on guitars that are worth 15-20k. It felt great. I would play a g minor chord and every time I would outloud just go "ohhhhh!" cause it felt so warm. So beautiful. I was playing on Smallman guitars. While playing and talking about the guitar I was playing, David says to me, "Yeah John Williams was playing that recently and just saying how much he loved it." My jaw dropped. JOHN WILLIAMS?! I'm playing on the same guitar John Williams touched?! and enjoyed?! For those who don't know, John Williams is hands down one of the greatest guitar players to ever live. He was considered the hands down BEST for quite some time and I always listen to his records for certain pieces. Anyway, so I explain how I don't have a job and can't afford it and leave and then a fellow student says "Hey! It's free! You don't have to have a job!" My mouth dropped yet again. SMALLMAN GUITARS AVAILABLE TO RENT FOR FREE?! How?! No way! But since you can only rent them out a week at a time, I decided to wait until I have a performance to do so. Incredible offer though.

So earlier today we had a guitar department meeting. Finally. Introduced ourselves. Larry, David and Mark all introduced themselves to us as well as the Guitar Lit. teacher who's name I have forgotten. They gave us a list of all the activities around the city and went on to further explain how San Francisco is hands down the best city in the country for classical guitar. I had always heard it was one of the best, but they went ahead and cleared it up for me. There are just so many things to do around here for guitar. It's an incredible feeling. Then we had a special guest guitar maker who brought in two 19th century guitars and explained them to us. Unbelievable. I got to try them out and the sound and feeling was just amazing. After everything I finally met my teacher Lawrence(Larry) Ferrara. Super nice guy. I can tell he's not going to put me down and tell me I'll never be more than a mediocre musician like one teacher did. We talked for a while and the difference between this meeting and my meeting with Mr. Hii is great. When I met Mr. Hii, I was like a scared child and didn't have any sort of confidence in myself. When I met Larry it started with a nice handshake, a smile, and a "How's it going?" I'm going to get to be myself around him and I'm excited for that. He asked me what I was working on and seemed very impressed. I look forward to his teaching so much.

It was around when David was talking about the program and I was looking around the room at all the guitar players who could whoop my ass at guitar that it hit me. I'm at a music conservatory. This is one of the best guitar schools and one of the best music schools in the world and I am having an unbelievable opportunity to attend such a school. Everything was such an inspiration. There was a free BBQ at some park for all new students and not for a second did I think about going because I wanted to practice so bad. I got back to my room and practiced for 4 hours straight. Practice has been consistent. I'm back to a good 3-5 hours a day and it feels great. I think this is the first non stoked on punk music post I've made ever. How bout that? Well, I'll break that somewhat. I've been listening to the Get Up Kids a lot lately. Get Up Kids? Smoking Popes? I'm a good 13 or so years late on this 90's emo thing. But I love it. Alright. Time to hit the town!

The Get Up Kids-Holiday

Say goodnight means goodbye.
I know you think my life would stop with you away
Maybe I can see you on the holidays,
But you're worlds away

2 comments:

  1. razzy, those smallman guitars will only make you a mediocre guitarist.....PFFFT YEAH RIGHT...hii wishes he could have all this. He wants to keep all his students because he doesn't want them to see how much better it is elsewhere.
    anyways all of what you've said sounds pretty fucking awesome, the fact you get to play on guitars that a virtuoso played on and liked, blows any comment hii ever made to me and you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Braid, I tell you, Braid!

    ReplyDelete