Wednesday, July 1, 2009

This World Is Breeding Cold. Ridiculed. Only Good For A FUCK

First off, I got sponsored! I no longer have to pay for my flight to and from San Francisco! Unreal! Anyway, so last night was the long awaited night. The night I get to see Joey Cape. It's been mentioned thousands of times what I think of his music and how much I love the guy so I won't even get into it. Me and Joe took off to San Antonio around 5:30. Listened to good music on the way up. We had heard the doors opened at 8. Got there at 8:45 to find out the doors opened at 9. Shitty. But while we were standing outside probably looking like a bunch of n00bz, mother fucking Joey Cape walks out the front door and gets out a cigarette. I had no idea what to do. I wish I smoked so I coulda "bummed a smoke" off of him. I just started talking to him. Asked him about touring, what he's doing next and a few other things. I was a bit upset to hear that Lagwagon is pretty much not active and not looking to be active any time soon but I was stoked to hear he's going home after this tour to record a new acoustic record. It's so cliche to say about a guy you meet from a band, but he really was a super down to earth, nice dude. It was unbelievable. Never did I think I'd meet the guy and be able to talk with him.


It was an all acoustic show. This would be the first show I ever attend sitting down at a table. Felt kinda classy. First band went up who's name I forgot. Eh. They could learn a few things from Joey Cape and other acoustic song writers. Whenever you make your pop punk song into an acoustic song, there is so much more to it then just playing the exact same thing on acoustic guitars. Musically, it should almost feel like a different song. The only difference between their actual music and acoustic music was the acoustic guitar. Everything was pretty up-beat and was just kind of boring.

Next up was Joe Snodgrass and Cory Branan. Joe Snodgrass has an undeniably great voice. He opened up with "Break Your Frame" by Bad Astronaut. Him and Cory Branan would just switch off songs. I had never heard of Cory Branan before, but he really really impressed me. He kinda looks like he's hopped up something the entire time and is super energetic and passionate when he sings. He is a fantastic guitar player as well. Listening to his music is like listening to a humorous short story. It was extremely entertaining watching him. Here is a video of Cory Branan.



Obviously up next was Joey Cape. What was an awesome feeling was knowing that no matter what he played, I would be extremely stoked for every song because he has hardly written any songs I don't like. He played songs off his solo album along with songs off the Lagwagon and Bad Astronaut records. Seeing May 16th was a dream come true seeing as to how it's my all time favorite song.

Set list:

1. Not A Dull Moment
2. Only Good For A...
3. Whipping Boy
4. The Contortionist
5. Who We've Become
6. Wind In Your Sail
7. Move The Car
8. Killers and Liars
9. Errands
10. Canoe
11. You Deserve This
12. No Little Pill
13. Minus
14. Last Train
15. The Kids Are All Wrong
16. May 16th
17. Alien 8
18. Lullaby
19. Greg's Estates
20. 500 Miles
21. Grey Suits
22. Violins
23. Razorburn

I was able to snatch the set list and have him sign it. It's still kind of hard to accept that I saw and met the lead singer of my favorite band of all time. He is such an inspiration to me. This year has just been too much for me. I have had so many great things happen. Auditioning for schools, flying to New York, getting accepted into 3 or 4 schools, getting TONS of scholarship money to go to sfcm, running around Texas Stadium, visiting the new stadium, the amazing week I spent in Brownsville with the trio, whipping out every one in that competition, the 4-5 performances I was asked to do in representing Del Mar, going up to Austin numerous times, seeing Propagandhi, listening to great music, enjoying all the what seem to be endless perks of being single, the parties. Everything about 2009 has just been amazing and it's literally only halfway done. And I have just so much to look forward to.


Bad Astronaut-Our Greatest Years

In the ashes of our greatest year
I forced the point and gave them grief
As if I find relief to see the worst in everyone
Still it's hard to be cruel to you
I wish I could- no that's not it
See what I mean to say is this
In this mad world it's hard to see the imperfection in your smile
And it's hard to be true to you
Even though I run away from you, I'm sorry
I wish I had chosen to be true
I'm sorry, I miss your disposition and your strength
I'll miss your disposition and your
Strength to see the best in everyone
Still it's hard to be cruel to you

No comments:

Post a Comment