Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Wait, Afterall, He Did Get Us Across The World And Back

Do dreams actually mean anything? Is it all just a bunch of nothing or is it really just your subconscious showing you everything that really is on your mind whether it be about the past, future, or present? Alright, enough 15 year old girl talk. All I can say is that it's about damn time. I got a text from my friend Justin the other day telling me that my wall of fame picture at Del Mar finally got posted. I went on a day adventure with a lady named Bianca and the FIRST thing we did was go see myself on that wall. It was one of the more arrogant moments in my life, but come on, I had been waiting for that thing to go up for over a year. And I have another one going up next year. I'm one of those losers that got on the wall 2 years in a row. I got on the Wall of Fame for being a winner in the Del Mar Honors Commencement competition. I won it two years in a row. I played BWV1001-Adagio, Presto and BWV996-Prelude y presto, Gigue.

It was a cold day in my sophomore year of high school when my friend Joe linked me to a purevolume(I miss the purevolume days) page for The Swellers. I instantly loved it. And I was super envious that the drummer was 17 or 18 at the time because at the time, being in a bad ass, touring punk rock band was my life goal. It was like if No Use For A Name and Millencolin had a kid that could sing a little better, play guitar a little better, and make just as good if not better melodic pop punk songs. Through out high school and college, they played in Corpus at least 5 times in which I made it to 4 of them and I've seen them in Austin about 3 times. Been somewhat of friends(in the way where I talk to them at every show and they recognize my face but remember me as "thatsyouth," "Roys little brother" or "that corpus kid") with Nick and Jono over the years. Well recently, they signed to a major pop punk(hardly punk) label Fueled By Ramen. Yes that's right. The same label with all your favorite bands like: Paramore, Cobra Starship, The Academy Is..., Fall Out Boy,
Panic! At the Disco and Punchline. Notice how I didn't link them because I don't want you to hear such music. Did I even have to say they signed to Fueled By Ramen? Because I'm pretty sure the picture to the left just SCREAMS Fueled By Ramen. And who's that new bass player? I liked both the old ones. Jono and Nick need to get a line up and stick with it before they get looked at as douche bags like Ryan Kepke from Slick Shoes or Chris Connelley from Saves The Day or Ryan Keys from Yellowcard. Don't get me wrong, I'm so stoked for them. They deserve it. But it's a hard thing to swallow when one of your favorite bands signs to such a label. It's a little bit worse when you have pretty much been there with that band for 80-90% of their existence. But I have faith that they will keep producing great music. Their EP was perfect. Their first LP was nearly perfect as well. Both albums were good, up beat pop punk. But those days seem to be coming to an end. I've always known they were super into stuff like Jimmy Eat World and Foo Fighters and Weezer and just that whole really good alternative rock music deal. After hearing 2 or 3 of their new songs and their attitude on writing new music, it seems they have taken a step closer in this direction. My douche bag friend Vivek did some interning work with the dude from O Pioneers!!! and that guy said that it sounds a lot like Piebald. I really like Piebald. That story may not be 100% accurate. I know Vivek was interning for something involving O Pioneers!!! but one thing that is for sure is that he is a douche bag. Piebald is also a perfect band to listen to at parties. Great, easy listening music that everyone can enjoy.

Why did I start posting all the lyrics to songs? It used to just be 4-5 lines. Back to that. Did I mention Weezer? I did. Well first off, they have made so many great songs in their existence as a band but the main reason I'm posting this is because yesterday my best girl-friend left me to study abroad in Spain. She doesn't get back till August 21st and I will be living in San Francisco by that time. In 8th grade, I would play guitar on the morning announcements and I played Weezer's Island In The Sun as she requested. I fucked up a little bit. She'll never forgive me. Mini-Wheats and classic movies will be experienced come late December.


Weezer-Island In The Sun

When you're on a golden sea
You don't need no memory
Just a place to call your own
As we drift into the zone

1 comment:

  1. hey bud its kenny found your blog.

    Dreams mean everything. they are the undying truth of the world. thats why marijuana and shrooms are illegal.

    if we all see the truth then monetary gain would deplete, and class would be a distant theory, religion would be an inside joke, disease could be conquered by meditation, and no man could ever be 1984.

    its a bum (sorta) your band jumped on Fueled by Ramen they have to single handedly be putting out the worst music and calling it indie rock. but maybe your group will break their cycle.

    keep in touch bud

    ReplyDelete