Sunday, July 26, 2009

And We'll Love And We'll Hate And We'll Die All To No Avail

Thrice. I figured that's the first word you wanted to read out of this new update. I was in the middle of fighting the good fight on Call of Duty with Badih and I get a text message from my friend Joe asking "If you could listen to Beggars(the new Thrice album coming out in October), would you?" Usually with Thrice, I like to wait until it comes out so I said no. He then replied "Well, the album leaked and I have it on my computer." I couldn't resist. I agreed to go listen to it later on that night. I was freaking out! What if it's bad? What could Thrice have possibly done this time? These questions were all going to come at some point but not till October. It was just too much to handle! This album determines whether my fall semester will be good or not! Such standards! Well the time finally came. Me, Joe and Sabrina parked by the pier and experienced it together. I don't know where to begin. It's so much different. But when hasn't a new Thrice album been? But this time it was a different kind of different. I felt like there was hardly a trace of Thrice in it. I heard a lot of Muse. It was just completely different. Yeah all their albums have been, but they managed to maintain this certain sound to them. The sound to where you knew it was a Thrice song. It's hard to describe. Kind of metalish, darkish, melodic, something that I can hardly put into words. But you just knew it was Thrice. It's kind of like 2:06 on To What End from Identity Crisis. It's kind of like 3:21 of So Strange I Remember You(didn't have the album version) or 2:11 of Kill Me Quickly. It's kind of like :27 or 2:37 of Cold Cash and Colder Hearts. It's kind of like at 4:01 of Music Box or 2:54 of Red Sky. It's kind of like 2:35 of Firebreather or 3:33 of Lost Continent or all of As The Crow Flies or 1:10 of Child Of Dust. Kind of like that? I don't know. It's really hard to describe the sound that I just didn't really hear throughout listening to Beggars. I kept thinking of the color purple? If that means anything. I remember really liking it but it wasn't instant love I don't think. We had agreed not to listen to it again until October 13th though. So maybe I can give a different view of it then.

Fuck. Listening to Water still sucks. I leave in 20 days. I'm unbelievably excited for San Francisco. Not just for the amazing school I will be attending and all the experiences out of that, but for the punk scene. That sounded kind of lame but you know what I mean. There is in OBSCENE amount of shows going through San Francisco in just my first semester it almost pisses me off. Then there is just so many new records coming out. Take a look at my myspace and look at all the shows/records to come. 2009 was meant to be a year of change for me and good fucking god was it ever when it came to living life. The music I have listened to thus far and the shows I've been to and pretty much my entire involvement with music has helped make this year one of the best I've ever experienced. And it's only halfway over. I mentioned Muse. I haven't listened to them a whole lot in my days, but this song is ridiculously good.


Muse-Stockholm Syndrome

No comments:

Post a Comment