Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Me and My Friend Rad!

Tuxedos are too expensive. What's the difference between a suit and a tux? A vest? Why was I wearing a tux? My cousin was having a wedding and well, I was a groomsmen. I looked sharp! Ok, get to music. Got it. When I got to the church, the first thing I saw was this magnificent, sweet as hell organ. I just wanted to play the melody of the brandenburg concerto I play on it. It was incredible. Anyway, I tend to forget how traditional weddings are. I tend to forget that the actual wedding march is played during weddings haha. I couldn't help but laugh. But the laughing quickly stopped. What I heard was a disgrace to the Wedding March. What I heard was a disgrace to anyone who has ever touched an organ. What I heard was a disgrace to music. The organ player must have been 98 year olds and yeah, he was hitting all the right notes, but for some reason decided to harmonize the right hand with nothing but MINOR 2ND's. It sounded awful. Painful. I'm sure everyone in the church was wondering like I was about to vomit. I couldn't take it. How could he do this? Does he not know? Does he think we're all too ignorant to notice? I wanted to stop it immediately. Seriously, it's the wedding march. The WEDDING MARCH. Have some respect. Not only for the people at the church, but for the sake of traditional music. This will not happen at my wedding. My wedding will consist of a string quartet playing all the brandenburg concerto's along with some other Bach favorites of mine. Then I will have a piano player play a piano version of May 16th for me and my wife's first dance. Seriously, the whole wedding could be nothing but pink flowers and yellow ducks, I won't give a shit as long as I'm in charge of the music.

Hit The Switch just recently put out a new record, "Observing Infinities." I had been waiting for this for so damn long. Their last record, "Domestic Tranquility and Social Justice" was fucking perfect. Not a single song missed. People compared it to early Thrice and we all know how great Thrice is at any stage of their career. Well I just got the new one in the mail and I do dig it, but I'm sad to say it's not as good as their last. The opening track is just way too long. Opening tracks should be sweet and to the point. No 2-3 minute music intro with mediocre music once the vocals kick in. What about a really heavy build up opener and then the second track is really good and energetic? That's good. But this was all on one track. Anyway, they seem to have a different sound. Kind of? It's like I'm listening to two different bands. One kinda skate punk and one a little more thrash with some sort of rock guitar and vocals. I don't completely dislike it but I definitely prefer the more skate punk songs. They were a little thrashy on Domestic and I loved it. Nishtagea Theory was my 3 or 4th favorite off that album. But this is in a different way that I can't really find the words to describe. There are a few songs that leave me just kinda confused with why the song just happened. Tidal Wave is great. Even though Ample Bright leaked about a year ago, I still love it. Last Light is incredible for it's intense outro. I don't think I've dropped my jaw in awe over a gang vocal outro like that in a long time. The last track, The Everfading Afterglow is easily one of the songs of the year. The melody is outstanding. Matt's voice just goes to all the right notes at the right times. Just when you think it can't get any better, it does. You really just have to listen to it. Buy this. You won't regret it.

I mentioned Thrice earlier. Early Thrice that is. For the people who haven't heard Thrice, you should scroll down and watch the Thrice video I posted I think 2 or 3 entries ago. Completely different than what your about to see. This is a song off their album, Identity Crisis. It's actually called "A Torch To End All Torches" not a turbo torch. I posted this rather than a sweet live video so you can view the ignorant user and forever remember him as a dumbass.



Misguided satellite
I circle by habit,
can't find my orbit to save my life
I want to fall,
I want to burn,
like an ignorant craterless meteorite
Long ago I was derailed,
long ago the mission failed
but in the distance there appears a light

Disgruntled architect
building a palace
cant make it perfect to save my life
victimless crime ride the wrecking ball in
evacuate now while I breathe dynamite
Efforts all to no avail
I'm perfection's countervail
torn in pieces, I am made contrite

And in my darkest hour
the brightest light draws near to me
a torch to end all torches,
this is the light that sets me free
all shadows burn away now
but by his grace I am sustained
though all was lost,
now all is found and more is gained

Lift me up and make me whole
Instill in me a new hope
Breathe new life into my soul

No comments:

Post a Comment