Saturday, June 6, 2009

This World Cannot Be Saved

It was about midnight friday night where I was just sitting and playing Call of Duty pretty bummed that I'm not going to do anything on a friday night for the first time in months. I had the opportunity to go to a party out on the Island but didn't feel too much like going because it was too far. My friend was trying to convince me to go but I was being kind of lazy. But he said he'd drive so I didn't turn it down. We went down staples up to the freeway and saw that it was closed off with tons and tons of cops surrounding it. Figured something bad went down. I texted my old friend Oneida to see if she wanted to join and she responded saying her friend had died. I asked if it had anything to do with the freeway and she called me and told me all the details. My heart sank. My body just went numb. 3 guys headed to the movies around 9:30pm were rear ended by an underage drunk driver. 1 kid died on impact. The other is in critical condition with very little chance of survival and another that only has a few scratches. One of the main reasons I've always liked my friend Oneida is because she's so thick skinned. A tough girl. And to hear her tear up was very difficult. These guys were just headed to the movies with friends man. All about my age. They have so many loved ones. There is no reason for this kind of thing to happen. They're too young. It really put things into perspective. They just had no idea. The rest of the night I was just kinda rattled and hardly talked at the party. Didn't take one drink. It infuriated me that this all happened because a couple high school kids were being nothing but a couple of fucking high school kids. They were charged with vehicular man slaughter. I hope they serve a damn good amount of time. You can read the story here.

Thankfully I've never had someone extremely close to me lose their lives. But last night reminded me a lot about November 20th, 2004. The night Kayla and Jilayne lost their lives. I'll never forget how that night played out. I'll never forget that sinking feeling. A music scholarship was created to honor Kayla's love for music. I got it my senior year and was quite proud and honored to represent Kayla. I didn't know her personally, but I feel like I owe it to her. Not only do I represent her in that, but in the Thrice cover show I do every summer, the singer, Badih, dedicates it to Kayla. You can read about her story here.

I know this pretty much has to do nothing with music but I thought it should be mentioned on here. Today was a day where I couldn't listen to The Descendents. A mourning day if you will. I listened to Joey Cape last night and today. I've been pretty bummed so far. It's hard to cope with an innocent kid your age dying. And it's hard to not have words for a friend.

Don't drink and drive.

Joey Cape-Home

It's your time
The lights will line your way home
Can you see them?

1 comment:

  1. sorry for the tragedy razzi. I dont know them, but my heart goes out to them.

    ReplyDelete