Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I See Skies Of Blue. Clouds Of White. Bright Blessed Days. Dark Sacred Nights.

It was around the end of November when I was at a party with friends and we were talking about how excited we were that we'd be home the very next month. But what I realized after that in order to get to December 16th, you have to go through December 1st-15th first. My face was very similar to this guys face. Finals means studying, copying, asking people for answers who you don't really like, and just praying that you pass your finals. Finals were really rough and it was just such a pain having to study for everything. Which leads to what I say next. I did straight up BAD in school compared to what I used to be doing. And on top of that, I felt like I had a very weak semester when it comes to guitar playing. One of the big issues has been practice. I'm still practicing but they aren't as focused practices as when I was getting ready for all my auditions. I live so close that it's way too easy to "just practice at home" which never ends up happening. So bad semester education wise and bad semester guitar wise. It's not that anything was particularly hard, I was just being lazy and it definitely caught up with me. But ya know? I'm really glad this all happened. It's a really nice wake up call and while yeah, i'd doubt myself too if I were you, I know that I can get at least a 3.8 GPA. None of the classes I'm taking are too hard and now that I've kind of grown up a little bit, I think it's very possible.

So I have this kind of, sort of, not really, completely really, almost, i'm not too sure, half-girlfriend these days. She's pretty awesome, super relaxed, and kinda looks like Meg Ryan. She knows me pretty well so she was searching through her ipod to find something we both will enjoy waking up to in the morning. Obviously she had trouble with this. Well the last thing she said to me that night was how I'm going to love what we wake up to. Eyes shut. Eyes open right at 8am because one of the most classic songs came on, "What A Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong. Imagine being as happy as I am these days, knowing you were going to be home soon, waking up next to a good looking female, being able to see that the SF weather is chilly and rainy, and hearing that song come on. If there is a heavan, it would always start with that. I don't know if it had to do with that, but I had the absolute best performance later in that day. It was for my evaluations and that's where all the guitar faculty "evaluates" your playing. Not once this semester have I put together a performance I enjoyed except for that one. So maybe fun time and Louis Armstrong is what I need before every performance? I haven't done it quite yet, but I'm going to pick up meditation and maybe a bit of buddhism. I'm far too cynical about my playing and it consistently brings my playing down. So hopefully all this will give me a clear head.

I leave to Corpus Christi tomorrow. It will be glorious to be with old friends and family again, drive around the city cutting people off left and right, HEB, whataburger, the beach, BBQ, cheap beer prices, Cowboys games. I'm so fucking excited. But I will miss San Francisco. I'll miss the sounds of the city, music school, the weather, the hobos, the bus rides, all my friends who I saw all day every day. But it's what I need.

The Copyrights-Kids Of The Black Hole

some say it's a black hole
but this town is a place we call home
some says it's a black hole
but they'll never know

No comments:

Post a Comment